Friday, July 10, 2009

A Quick Shout Out to Cleome



Cleome (Klee-o-mee) hassleriana, common name Spiderflower has finally started to bloom in my garden! I grew these beauties from seed this Winter, started under grow lights in my drafty basement. Out of the 12/16 pots, only 4 plants germinated. I babied them along and kept all four alive. Weirdly, I got all three colors, pink, purple, and white (pink is my favorite, hands down). I've tucked the four here and there in the sunny front garden, and they seem to be doing well.



They were definitely a bit of a pain to get going, but well, worth the effort (and if I had bought these, I probably be out 20 bucks, instead of the $3 or $4 for water/soil/pots). Seed-grown annuals are the best! I think Cleome will now be in the same category as Nasturium, Cosmos, Alyssum, and Sunflower -- required in my garden.

-Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment